Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Chinese Quickie

Today was largely the long drive from Lijian to Shangri-la, several hours. We made one stop at Leaping Tiger Gorge. An absolutely fabulous scenic one hour hike along the side of a rock cliff above a raging river brings you to the spot from whence the name is derived. The hike in is about one mile on a path literally carved out of the rock cliff. Leaping Tiger Gorge got its name from a spot where the river narrows and there is a huge rock in midstream which the water diverts around on two sides. The legend is that the tigers would cross the river by leaping from the shore to the rock to the opposite shore. A statue of a tiger has been erected there to mark the spot.

As usual words cannot describe this adequately so you are required to wait until I can post the photos.

When we arrived in Shangri-la I (for the fourth time this trip) left my camera on the bus. When I went down to retrieve it our guide Nora told me that either I or Nancy could sit at the head table with the local dignitaries. I told her Nancy would be glad to (she is the president of the Napa Valley Camellia Club after all). So Nancy, the Chinese TV star, sat with the dignitaries and I hung with the Aussies where I managed to remain reasonably sober. No mean trick while drinking with Aussies at 10,000 feet elevation.

After dinner one of the Japanese camellia lovers performed magic tricks for us. He was quite good and very funny.

It is, by the way, colder than a well digger’s backside in Idaho here complete with snow on the ground and the whole nine yards. (That enough clichés for you?)

Bed calls. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment